42. Diabetes with Dr. Mona Morstein
Diabetes is an epidemic. More than 10% of Americans have diabetes and one-third of adults have pre-diabetes. To demystify diabetes, today’s guest is Dr. Mona Morstein. Dr. Morstein has been a naturopathic physician for thirty years, was Chair of Nutrition, a professor of Gastroenterology and Clinical Supervisor at Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine, and is an expert in diabetes. In fact, she wrote the book on it, “Master Your Diabetes: A Comprehensive, Integrative Approach For Both Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.”
Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [01:30] What is Type 1 diabetes
- [04:30] What is type 2 diabetes
- [07:25] Other types of diabetes
- [10:00] Why is diabetes increasing in the population
- [15:35] Dr. Morstein’s approach to treating diabetes compared to a conventional approach
- [19:40] Is testing for environmental factors and nutritional deficiency important
- [24:00] How some medications can deplete nutrients
- [30:33] Way to naturally improve insulin resistance
- [34:40] Does Alzheimer’s and dementia cause insulin resistance
- [40:00] Dr. Morstein’s parting words
Resources talked about in this episode
Visit our social media for more information
Today I answer listeners’ questions. Frequently people reach out to me with health questions. And doing a Listener Q&A gives me a chance to answer those questions and share that with you, because typically if someone has a question, there are lots of people with the same question who simply haven’t asked it.
Fear is a great motivator, but it doesn’t always get us moving in the right direction. Many people panic when the market goes down and pull out of their investments.
If you want to feel and look your best or even prevent or even reverse chronic diseases, we have to talk about diet. Your dietary pattern—what you eat day after day, month after month, year after year—is more predictive than genetics and family history for developing chronic diseases and dying early.