58. Smartphone Addiction
In today’s episode I’m talking about smartphone addiction. Let’s face it, we’re hooked. I love my cellphone. I love being connected. But as great of an impact technology has had in our lives, it has its deadly side. Understand the good–and bad–effects technology is having on your health, then use simple strategies to make sure technology is helping you reach all your goals.
Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [01:41] A study showed 79% of smartphone owners check their phones 15 minutes after waking up in the morning
- [02:21] 70% more adults and kids own a cell phone or tablet
- [03:02] The downfall of technology is the addiction that comes with it
- [03:38] Studies have shown the more a person is on their phone, the more likely they are to develop depression
- [04:23] The dopamine hit we get every time we’re on our phone, conditions our brain to look for more
- [07:18] Define what you are looking for online and schedule your time
- [08:08] Why is multitasking terrible
- [10:30] Technology will help us avoid an uncomfortable situation instead of dealing with them
- [12:05] When we’re stressed our body releases epinephrine
- [16:54] Our phone brings havoc to our sleep
- [21:30] When you stop giving your body those dopamine hits, it starts affecting your mood
- [22:50] Ways to set limits for your screen use
Resources talked about in this episode
Blog mentioned – Three Ways Smartphones are Ruining Your Sleep and Relationships
Visit our social media for more information
59. Tame Your Fear Brain with Dr. Kate Truitt
Fear can get the best of any of us, and you know you can’t be your best self when you’re afraid and overwhelmed. That’s why it’s so important to learn skills that allow you to tame your fear brain, and to help us understand exactly how to do that is Dr. Kate Truitt. Dr. Kate is a Clinical Psychologist committed to understanding the brain’s ability to transcend and transform the complex and beautiful relationship between nature and nurture. Her clinical practice, scientific studies and training are specialized in the areas of stress, trauma, and resiliency. Her workshops have been attended by people around the world, and I can’t think of anyone better to talk to about this important topic.
60. What Your Doctor Doesn’t Tell You About Osteoporosis
What your doctor doesn’t tell you about this disease is likely the most important thing you need to know. The discussions around osteoporosis with healthcare professionals is too often limited to bone mineral density and medications. But more than half of people who start osteoporosis medications discontinue them and a bone density test predicts less than half of people who will break a bone. Today I share with you how I talk to patients. You’ll come away knowing how to expand the conversation with your healthcare provider and what you can do to be in the driver’s seat when it comes to your own health.
61. Natural Approaches to Acid Reflux
Every day, millions of people take acid-blocking medications to treat the symptoms of acid reflux, for duodenal ulcers, and as an important part of a treatment strategy to kill the H. pylori infection. These medications are effective at treating the symptoms of disease, but they don’t treat the underlying cause and can create deadly side effects. Learn what causes acid reflux and how you can fix it using natural and integrative approaches.