Key Takeaways To Tune In For
- [01:00] How Kimberly became interested on this topic
- [03:00] How Kimberly’s birth experience was different than others
- [07:10] Biases against black women in the medical field has become dangerous
- [09:00] All about the Irth app
- [12:45] How Irth data is showing hospitals how to combat systemic racism
- [17:45] What are some racial barriers black and brown women face during pregnancy
- [19:08] Has there been a shift in a positive way
- [20:20] All about Kimberly’s book on breastfeeding
- [24:08] What does the statement “breastfeeding for poor people” mean
- [29:15] Some communities have unconscious bias
- [30:00] Teaser on Kimberly’s new book
- [31:15] Kimberly’s parting words
Resources talked about in this episode
- Guest podcast – Birthright
- Guest app – Irth app
- Guest website – Kimberly Seals Allers
- Guest social media – IG/Facebook: @iamksealsallers, @theirthapp Twitter: @iamksealsallers, @irthapp
- Guest book – The Big Letdown–How Medicine, Big Business and Feminism Undermine Breastfeeding
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy involves breathing pure oxygen in a pressurized environment. It accelerates the body’s natural healing process by increasing the amount of oxygen in the blood. Here to explain more about hyperbaric oxygen and how it can help is Dr. Masha Makeeva, a faculty member at International Hyperbaric Association, and a past Scientific Committee Member at the Spanish Association of Hyperbaric Medicine.
Osteoporosis is a global epidemic. Too often people only think about their bones when they break one. Penelope Wasserman developed the Million Dollar Bones program in 2011 to help prevent osteoporosis by teaching healthy lifestyle habits to children decades before people are usually thinking about their bones. Her unique program is a sensory immersion experience that gets kids (and adults) excited about bone health.
About 1% of patients with COVID symptoms are still struggling months later. These are the “long haulers” who suffer from wide-ranging and mysterious symptoms.